What lighting does your lift truck need?
The importance of forklift lights
Every employee, regardless of the type of employment, is obliged to observe all precautions. Workplace safety may refer to proper operation of machines or vehicles. Forklift can be commonly used in warehouses, production halls, sorting plants, logistics centers and large shops. The construction of forklift enables the transport of heavy loads over short distances. Forklifts significantly affect the efficiency and effectiveness of employee activities.
As it turns out, that machines are involved in more than 30% of the most serious accidents at work. Visibility plays an important role in this. Forklift operators are aware of this problem. Before the forklift operator starts work, he must make sure that he can see the surroundings of the machine perfectly and that it is sufficiently visible in the workplace.
In accordance with applicable standards, the forklift must be equipped with a lighting system. Appropriate lamps sufficiently guarantee the safety of the employees during the work to be carried out. The best solution is to mount LED or halogen lamps on the fork carriage or overhead guard. This way, you have an amply illuminated zone in front and around the forklift. This type of trucks sometimes work in dark places. The lack of the proper lighting having an intense beam of light is directly related to risk in the workplace.
Mandatory forklift lamps
It is possible to use a forklift on a public road. Of course, the operator has to observe the traffic regulations. If you want the forklift to be an active participant in road traffic, it must meet a number of requirements. First of all, a number plate with number plate lighting is mandatory. The appropriate lights are an important equipment of the machine. What lamps should be installed on the forklift?
• dimmed headlights and position lights at the front.
• indicators at the front and rear.
• hazard warning lights.
• red reflective triangle at the rear.
• two rear lights.
• two brake lights.
• at least two reflectors.
Finally, all lights must have an E-marking in order to be allowed on public roads.
Forklift warning lights
These standard lights ensure that the forklift operator can clearly see surroundings and where he is driving. Meanwhile, manufacturers launches onto the market various warning lights that also warn pedestrians for an oncoming machine.
• Blue spot warning light - By means of a red or blue spot on the floor in front of or behind the forklift truck, everyone can see the machine coming. The blue spot is a safety light that you can easily and quickly mount on top of the machine.
• Red Zone Light - With a light that marks out a red zone along the machine, you can demarcate a safe distance for everyone in the workshop. This red light can also be mounted in combination with the blue spot. By combining these warning lights, you create a safe zone in the front, back and on the sides of the forklift.
Sometimes a moment of inattention is enough for a tragedy to occur in the workplace. Therefore it is recommended to equip the forklift with both basic and additional lamps. Then, the lighting system sufficiently guarantees the operator and the people near the forklift full visibility.